Early this week the Irish golf society and I think the golf world lost a great golfer (4 European Tour victory, 2 Ryder Cup appearance etc.) and golf architect in the person of Christy O’Connor Jnr. Christy O’Connor Jnr was more than a popular golf professional. He was also a well-respected golf course architect and Senior Member of the EIGCA.
Christy began his golf course design career in 1986, creating a 9-hole course at Haarlemmermeersche Golf Club in The Netherlands. Over the next twenty years, he built up an impressive portfolio of courses working in Ireland, France, Portugal, Hungary and the Caribbean.
13 out of 19 Irish golf courses he designed are rated in the Top 100 Courses of Ireland.
These are the golf courses that were designed by Christy O’Connor Jnr:
- Bantry Bay Golf Club (co-designed) – Ireland
- Budapest Gate International Golf & Country Club – Hungary (a design project; this golf club project was canceled around 2012 for my great sorrow)
- Carstown Golf Club – Ireland
- Citywest Championship Course – Ireland
- Concra Wood Golf & Country Club – Ireland
- Esker Hills Golf Club – Ireland
- Fota Island Golf Club (co-designed) – Ireland
- Galway Bay Golf Resort – Ireland
- Glasson Golf Hotel & Country Club – Ireland
- Gort Golf Club – Ireland
- Haarlemmermeersche Golf Club – The Netherlands
- Headfort New Golf Club – Ireland
- Hollywood Lakes Golf Club – Ireland
- Knightsbrook Golf Club – Ireland
- Lee Valley Golf & Country Club – Ireland
- O’Connor Jnr Course Doeuil Sur le Mignon – France (a design project)
- Oceanico O’Connor Jnr. – Portugal
- Mount Wolseley Golf Club – Ireland
- Roganstown Golf & Country Club – Ireland
- Rosslare Golf Club (redesign) – Ireland
- Palmerstown Stud Golf Club – Ireland
- Rathsallagh Golf & Country Club – Ireland
- The Residences at The Ritz-Carlton – St. Lucia (a design project)
- Tuam Golf Club (redesign) – Ireland
Have something to add to this story? Share it in the comments!