Last time I was able to tell you that the Al Hamra Golf Club (managed by Troon International) became the first golf club in the entire Middle East region to go fully plastic-free. The Al Hamra Golf Club’s next big throw will be hosting a European Tour tournament in 2022.
The inaugural Ras Al Khaimah Championship presented by Phoenix Capital will be played at Al Hamra Golf Club (Peter Harradine designed golf course) between 3rd – 6th February 2022 and will form part of a 5-week “Middle East Swing” during the early stages of the 2022 season.
The world’s best golfers will battle for a $2 million prize purse. The tournament will take place after back-to-back Rolex Series events in the UAE, including the Abu Dhabi HSBC Championship and the Slync.io Dubai Desert Classic.
Al Hamra Golf Club – sustainable golf tournament
It would be great to see them continue their investment in sustainability and create a sustainable golf tournament. Al Hamra Golf Club previously hosted the European Challenge Tour over three consecutive years from 2016 – 2018.
All I know for sure is the European Tour has got a sustainability program called the Green Drive that is part of Golf for Good, the company’s CSR program.
- An Ecological Management Plan for the ongoing management of the habitats associated with the course and its surrounds.
- Minimizing the use of chemicals and hazardous materials.
- All staff is trained in pollution prevention and spill kits and pollution response procedures have been prepared.
- Zero Waste Stations used to engage attendees, educating and encouraging involvement in sustainability.
- Focus on Fairtrade, local and ethically sourced produce, waste management efforts.
- Engage local youth.
- Involve fans in charitable activities.