In the last couple of months most of the time, I heard of temporary or permanent layoffs and furloughs. A refreshing exemption from this is Lumine Golf Club.
Luminea Golf Club during COVID-19: employee experience
Today it is getting clear that employees are becoming very important stakeholders even in golf resorts and golf clubs. It means that if we want to achieve better commercial results we cannot underestimate our employees’ needs, goals, and expectations.
I was shocked to read in Gallup’s State of the Global Workforce study that only 10% of employed Western Europeans are engaged while in the USA the employee engagement rate is 33%.
Qualtrics’ 2020 Global Employee Experience Trends study says that in the travel & leisure industry the attrition risk is 20%.
This tells me that we should change our golf club management practices and focus on employee development and employees’ strengths.
To achieve this my recommendation is to:
- Ask for feedback often, listen, and take action.
- Invest in managers and career development.
IBM’s Employee Experience Index tool sounds really useful. It measures 5 areas of the employee’s experience:
- Belonging – feeling part of a team, group, or organization;
- Purpose – understanding why one’s work matters;
- Achievement – a sense of accomplishment in the work that is done;
- Happiness – the pleasant feeling arising in and around work;
- Vigor – the presence of energy, enthusiasm, and excitement at work
Leaders and managers play a powerful role, especially in hard times (e.g. COVID-19) to show the direction (where the golf club/resort is heading to) and why employees matter.
Crisis communication is not a simple challenge. I know from my professional experience when I had to manage the crisis communication in social media of Citibank’s Citi-Malév (Hungarian Airlines) co-branded card.
It will not be an easy task these days for golf club leaders to create a positive work environment. However, I can urge them to provide highly personalized support and commitment to their teams.
Lumine Golf Club – Changes in the management
Here are the latest appointments:
- Rita Jordao, Sales & Marketing Director, who has joined from PGA Catalunya Resort.
- Pablo Guerrero Jaureguizar, Operations Director, who will lead the team in their aspirations on reaching the highest level of service and delivery. Previously he worked at Real Club de Golf Guadalmina.