We don’t hear too much about Tom Weiskopf‘s golf course design works. He has got only cca. 26 golf course design works in the US.
Troon Country Club (Scottsdale, Arizona) is one of his first venture into golf course design.
Troon Country Club (since 1986) reopened its Jay Morrish and Tom Weiskopf-designed golf course for member play on December 1st following a $4.6 million dollar, 7 month-long renovation.
Weiskopf and design consultant Phil Smith oversaw the project while Heritage Links golf course construction company served as the contractor..
As part of the renovation, Weiskopf and Smith made
- Design modifications to enhance playability, accentuate site lines, and assist in course maintenance.
- All greens were resurfaced with A4 bentgrass, all tees were leveled, expanded and several new forward tees were added.
- Tee boxes, fairways, and rough were re-grassed with TifWay 419 bermudagrass.
- Bunkers were modified (some eliminated), reshaped, and rebuilt incorporating a technically advanced drainage and liner system featuring Capillary Concrete. This new generation lining method increases the speed at which water flows through the bunker minimizing washouts, reducing maintenance, and producing superior playability. The new bunkers are filled with Caltega bunker sand and are expected to last for many years to come.
- The Club’s irrigation system has been updated, including all new high-density polyethylene mainline and lateral piping; new Rainbird IC system sprinkler heads with central control; and a new WaterTronics pump station. The ultra-efficient irrigation system allows crews to individually control each sprinkler head on the golf course assisting in the club’s water conservation efforts.
Troon Country Club – renovation projects
The golf course renovation comes on the heels of Troon Country Club’s $7.5 million clubhouse expansion and renovation completed in January 2018.
Douglas Fredrikson Architects of Phoenix oversaw the project which gave the clubhouse a new, modern look featuring an incredible 9,000 sq. ft.
Health and Wellness Center on the newly added second floor of the building. The state-of-the-art Wellness Center includes space for more than 20 group classes, while on-staff trainers customize personal fitness regimens to fit each member.
The Health and Wellness Center also offers TRX suspension training, a private Pilates studio, physical therapy, a stretching area, a steam room, and private lounges.