INFINITUM Lakes course has just hosted the DP World Tour’s ISPS Handa Championship. It is already known that the DP World Tour’s Final Stage Qualifying School will return from November 11-16 following a three-year absence due to the Covid-19 pandemic.
Now, INFINITUM is planning extensive maintenance work on the Lakes course (Par-71, a Greg Norman design) this summer with the layout’s fairways upgraded from Ryegrass to the more sustainable Bermuda Tifway 419.
Why did INFINITUM choose the Bermuda Tifway 419?
The planned work – which will see all 18 fairways renovated – is due to last four months with a re-opening date scheduled for mid-September.
The DP World Tour’s Final Stage Qualifying School tournament will be played over both the water-strewn Lakes and the more mature, treelined Hills course.
Benefits of Bermuda Tifway 419 turfgrass
- A vigorous grower and establishes itself quickly from sod.
- This rapidly spreading, dense growth habit allows it to recover quickly from injury.
- Bermuda Tifway 419 has been found to retain its resilience even in dormancy.
- Require mowing every four or five days during June, July, and August due to its vigorous growth habits.
- Watering should be done in the early to late morning.
- Bermuda Tifway 419 is well adapted to ‘gray’ water sources.
- For peak performance, you do need to fertilize Bermuda Tifway 419 and it’s helpful to provide some weed control.
- It requires 60% less mowing in the winter, which will help ensure the reduction of fuel consumption.
- High tolerance to high-salinity stress.
“By installing Bermuda Tifway 419 grass, we will be making the course and playing surface more sustainable due to it being more hard-wearing and able to withstand the temperatures of the summer months.
The relatively open fairways of the Lakes course mean the layout can suffer from the hot, dry temperatures but changing to Bermuda Tifway 419 will ensure we have a surface that can stand up to the rigours of this, ensuring the consistent quality of our fairways that will remain in impeccable condition all year round.