There is no big surprise in selecting Al Zorah Golf Club for the Development of the Year Award by Golf Inc. Al Zorah Golf Complex is probably one of the biggest if not the biggest golf club development project in the region: Dh220-billion ($60 billion).
Al Zorah Golf Club (managed by Troon) won in a highly competitive competition. The other potential development projects were Bluejack National (Tiger Woods design) in Montgomery, Texas; Cabot Cliffs in Inverness, Nova Scotia, Canada; Cape Wickham Links in Tasmania, Australia; and Rockwind Community Links in City of Hobbs, New Mexico.
Here are some of the highlights of the Al Zorah Golf Complex:
- 2-year construction project
- 300 people were involved
- 300,000 cubic meters of sand were imported for a planting medium
- approximately 1.2 million m3 of earthwork
- 1.5 km of boardwalks to cope with the signature incoming tides.
- The site is home to more than 2 million square meters of mangroves, 58 bird species and marine life
- 12 km of waterfront and 1.6 km of sandy beaches