In 2009, the developers of the gated Steelwood residential community, on 1,500+ acres in Loxley, Alabama have sold their ownership in the Steelwood Country Club to a group of club members. Originally, Richard and Carol Miller bought land in 1992 from International Paper Co. and invested more than $20 million in the project. The club was opened in 1997. Most recently Troon has been selected to manage the Steelwood Country Club.
One of the expectations of Terry Chapman, president of Steelwood’s board of directors from Troon is to grow the membership of the Steelwood Country Club.
Here are some interesting facts about the Steelwood Country Club:
- The 18-hole golf course designed by former U.S. Open Champion Jerry Pate: 7,096 yards of golf for a par of 72.
- They won several awards including Best in State by Golf Digest.
- They host many tournaments including the top tournament for the American Junior Golf Association (AJGA).
- The golf facility also has an expansive driving range and state-of-the-art teaching facility.
- Besides golf, there are several opportunities for those who like outdoor activities: fishing camp, access to daily quail and pheasant hunting excursions during the season, Hydro-clay tennis courts, an outdoor swimming pool, fitness room and scenic hiking trails.
Has something to add to this story? Share it in the comments!