I think it was in 2015 when I wrote last time about the Troon Card program. This is why I was curious to see what can the 2019 Troon Card program (a discount card; the golf industry’s leading loyalty program) offer to golfers.
The other reason why I am curious is that I would like to see how Troon in handling the latest loyalty marketing trends:
- Emotional loyalty is more important than transactional loyalty. Let’s look beyond rewards programs to delight, create and retain loyal customers. We should eliminate our guests and members pain points that might occur during their time in our golf clubs. Connecting customers emotionally will help to strengthen the bond between the golf club and the golfer.
- Relationship-driven loyalty is gaining momentum. Treat your customers first of all as a human being like yourself.
- According to 2017 research by Deloitte, 44% of consumers would like the option of personalized rewards based on their purchase history.
- Smartphones are becoming the focal point of loyalty programs (e.g. Troon app includes both Troon Card and Troon Rewards). The ideal mobile app is the one that can integrate into the lifestyle of its users. This will give you a new opportunity to engage and communicate (e.g. push notifications, emails, etc.) with your members and guests and build loyalty. So, Troon app has got the potential to reinforce the Troon brand as a lifestyle enhancement. If I were Troon I would motivate golfers to use the Troon app frequently since this way they could get closer to their customers and build a better and long-term relationship.
- Creation of convenient experiences for our golf club members and guests. Such experiences that they will eager to participate in it and return to the golf club.
- Let’s not forget that 75% of Millennials (cca. 80 million people in the U.S.) prefer experience over things. Do you remember the Marriott Loyalty Program’s Coachella festival in Palm Springs? This is a good example of an attractive experience for Millennials.
- Flexibility. E.g. Hilton Honors loyalty program enables customers to combine points and cash when paying for a room.
- Loyalty can be affected by the next Google search or review site or price comparison site.
- Young & Rubicam’s BrandAsset® Valuator, “kindness and empathy” have increased in importance to customers by 391% as a brand value. This shows well that today’s customers are looking for more connection and humanity from marketers (e.g. golf clubs).
2019 Troon Card Program
As we all know Troon Cards are the best way to play Troon-managed and affiliated courses at preferred rates.
However, it is more important if Troon could align its discount card loyalty program with the latest loyalty marketing trends.
The 2019 Troon Card Program offers:
- New courses were added: Cascata and Rio Secco Golf Clubs in the Las Vegas area, Thanksgiving Point Golf Club near Salt Lake City, Laughlin Ranch Golf Club in Bullhead City, Ariz. and Château Élan Golf Club north of Atlanta.
- For those living or traveling to Hawaii, a new Hawaii Troon Card is now available with preferred Troon Card golf fees at the islands’ top courses, including Kapalua Golf and Kahili Golf Course on Maui, Princeville Makai Golf Course on Kauai and Mauna Lani Resort on the island of Hawai’i.
- Other states and region-specific Troon Cards available include Alabama, Arizona, California, Central U.S., Florida, Georgia, Kansas/Missouri, New York, Northeast U.S., North Carolina, Ohio, Southeast U.S., Tucson, and Utah.
- Troon Cardholders can reserve tee times within three-days of their desired date of play and enjoy up to 50 percent off golf fees.
- For those who can’t wait until three days out to book their tee time, with Troon Card’s Best Rate Guarantee, Troon Cardholders can book any online rate and still receive 15 percent off their golf fees at check-in.
- Troon Cardholders can treat their friends, and themselves, to “2 for 1” golf offers and can celebrate their birthday in style with “birthday round” discounts.
- Additional Troon Card benefits include the Troon Card Facebook Group and Text Club, which provides instant news and special offers exclusively to Cardholders, 10 percent off merchandise at participating golf shops and golf course restaurants, Troon Card E-News with monthly special offers, appreciation events, and the ability to book tee times online at www.TroonCardTeeTimes.com. I would provide special offers for Troon Card Facebook Group and Text Club members that are not available for non-members of this group.
2019 Troon Cards are valid November 1, 2018, through December 31, 2019, with “early bird” pricing available through December 3rd, 2018.
My comments regarding the 2019 Troon Card Program
- It is still U.S.-focused, although Troon is present in other countries around the globe.
- Transaction-focused instead of relationship-driven.
- Troon should utilize much more their mobile application.
UPDATE (25/06/2019) – 2019 Troon Card Program
Since I wrote this post there were some interesting changes at Troon. Through Troon International and its mobile application, the 2019 Troon Card Program is even more attractive as it enables you to play outside the US at Troon-managed golf clubs & resorts:
- Allows golfers to search and pay for their bookings on the move.
- Users will be rewarded with a credit they can spend at any course, or they can gift app credit to other keen players.