Troon – but also true regarding other companies – will not be able to retain their most valuable customers solely with loyalty programs offering points and discounts.
Transactional customers are much less engaged with the brand/marketer/golf club than those who are emotionally engaged.
We might think of ourselves as people who make rational purchasing decisions, however, in reality, our emotions have a much bigger influence on our decisions.
Annex Cloud found about emotional loyalty:
- Emotionally loyal customers are naturally motivated to spend more.
- Emotionally loyal customers are more likely to support your brand.
- Emotionally loyal customers are enthusiastic to promote your brand.
- Emotionally loyal customers provide genuine, unbiased feedback on a more consistent basis than other customers.
I already stated the importance of emotional loyalty in 2019, but I felt it was important to repeat it. We cannot expect our golf club guests and members to create a bond on their own.
In a McKinsey study, I found all loyalty programs have members who do not redeem points or do not even know they exist. I wonder how Troon handles these passive Troon Card members?
“Breakage” sounds positive for program economics but I would think of these aspects:
- Awareness and understanding of how the Troon Card program works?
- The attractiveness & relevance of the Troon Card program offers.
Companies like Troon should think about and understand how relevant the loyalty program offers to each and every customer segment.
I would utilize gamification to make the loyalty program more engaging and interesting + help them to earn more points.
To measure the success of a loyalty program, engagement should be one of the KPIs. Redeemers spend 25% more than inactive members.
“Currency or point redemption accelerates the virtuous loyalty loop as the customer achieves the reward or benefit and mobilizes to accrue more.”
Let’s add that our loyalty program will be even more successful if the gifts and offers are personalized. However, this requires a very serious customer data analysis. Are we ready for this?
2023 Troon Card Program
Let’s see what the 2023 Troon Card – with more than 150 Troon-affiliated courses participating – has to offer:
- Providing Cardholders with preferred rates of up to 50% off the standard rate at participating Troon-managed and brand-affiliated courses.
- Troon Cards are available as a TwoSome Card (for two golfers to play and save), or a FourSome Card (for four golfers to enjoy preferred pricing), and are offered for specific states and regions of the country.
- The Patriot Troon Card has returned in 2023 as a way of honoring and thanking first responders as well as active duty, veterans, reserve, and U.S. military retirees.
- The Inspire Troon Card also returns in 2023 and is for healthcare professionals and teachers. Both the Patriot and Inspire Troon Card to offer the same incredible benefits as a National Troon TwoSome Card, including up to 50% off the standard rate for the Cardholder and a guest at ALL participating Troon-managed and brand-affiliated courses around the world.
- Troon Cardholders can reserve tee times within 3 days of their desired date of play and enjoy up to 50 percent off golf fees. For those who cannot wait until three days out to book their tee time, with Troon Card’s Best Rate Guarantee, Troon Cardholders can book any online rate four-plus days in advance and still receive 15 percent off their golf fees at check-in.
- Troon Cardholders can improve their golf games by participating in complimentary clinics, playing more golf with exclusive replay rates, and exploring the world of Troon with customized experience packages.
- Troon Cardholders can treat their friends, and themselves, to “2 for 1” golf offers and can celebrate their birthday in style with “birthday round” discounts. A new benefit added for 2023 affords Troon Cardholders special Avis Rental Car discounts of up to 35% off.
Additional Troon Card benefits include the Troon Card Facebook Group and special offers exclusively to Cardholders, 10% off merchandise at participating golf shops and golf course restaurants, Troon Card E-News with monthly special offers, and the ability to book tee times online at www.TroonCardTeeTimes.com.
2023 Troon Cards are valid from November 1, 2022, through December 31, 2023, with “early bird” pricing available through December 9, 2022.