You have may have heard of the importance of promoting your golf club’s community open day(s) as a sustainability objective (GEO Foundation: CC4l). A good example of this is Carnoustie Golf Links‘ Well-Being and Recruitment Day.
On Tuesday 28th February 2023, Carnoustie Golf Links and The Rookery played host to its very first Recruitment Open Day, in parallel with a Health and Well-Being Open Day – another first of its kind at the Links.
Between 11 am and 3 pm residents from the local area were welcomed to Links House to explore the recruitment opportunities available at the Links, including roles in
- Guest Relations,
- Golf Operations, and
- Restaurant Waiting Staff.
The informal day was designed to give everyone a chance to meet some of the senior management team, explore the facilities and learn more about the roles.
Furthermore, over 32 local mental health and well-being services and charities (see the list below) were on-site in The Rookery to share a wealth of information with everyone in attendance.
Carnoustie Golf Links – achievements
The day was deemed highly successful with over 130 guests in attendance. This event is one of the many outreach initiatives that Carnoustie Golf Links run.
The most notable is its Community Benefits Programme which has donated over £250k+ to local good causes to date.
Services & Charities that attended on the day:
- Alzheimer Scotland;
- Andy’s Man Club;
- Angus Health and Social Care Partnership;
- Angus Independent Advocacy;
- Angus Voice;
- Carnoustie Medical Group Patient Representative Group (provisional);
- Change Mental Health;
- Citizens Advice Bureau;
- Communities Team (Carnoustie, Monifieth & Sidlaw) Angus Council;
- Community Action Team Angus; Scottish Fire and Rescue Service;
- Cruse Scotland Bereavement Support;
- Department for Work and Pensions;
- Dundee & Angus College;
- Flourishing Well;
- Golf Memories/Cycle Without Age;
- Hear Me;
- Macmillan (ANGUSalive);
- Manna Project, Carnoustie Baptist Church;
- Mental Health & Wellbeing and Substance Use, Public Health Directorate NHA Tayside;
- Nature Prescribing;
- New Solutions;
- Police Scotland;
- REACH Across;
- Royal British Legion Scotland;
- Skills Team, Angus Council;
- Suicide Prevention / MH &WB;
- Tayside Council on Alcohol;
- Voluntary Action Angus.
Have you got similar initiatives in your golf club? What have you learned from these initiatives? Share them in the comments (+results!)!