We have got used to reading about forgiveness and distance when a new golf club will be launched. However, in case of the new Titleist 917 driver, we can find a new element: forgiveness with precise adjustability. The new Titleist 917 driver (Titleist 917D2 and 917D3 models) will be available from October 21st worldwide at $499 MAP ($550 MSRP).
What are the innovations in the new Titleist 917 driver?
Stephanie Luttrell, Director, Titleist Metalwood Development said: “It’s taken more than five years of extensive research and iteration to perfect this system.”
Personally, I found 6 innovations in the new Titleist 917 driver:
- Active Recoil Channel (ARC) 2.0, a long, wide, deep sole channel, actively flexes and recoils at impact to launch the ball off the face with higher speed and lower spin for more distance.
- Radial Speed Face 2.0, a high-speed forged face insert, is tuned with ARC 2.0 to promote greater off-center ball speed for more overall distance.
- A precise High-MOI Design, with a low and deep center of gravity location, delivers stability and forgiveness by preserving off-center ball speed for more distance, more often.
- Titleist’s industry-leading SureFit Hosel and new SureFit CG weight system deliver the ultimate in precision fitting for every player.
- The proprietary 16-setting SureFit Hosel allows golfers to set loft and lie independently to optimize ball flight for improved shot control and maximum distance.
- New SureFit CG provides precise adjustability through a highly efficient interchangeable weight system, optimizing spin and launch conditions for a more consistent trajectory and tighter shot dispersion.
The 917D2 provides distance and forgiveness in a large 460cc full pear profile. 917D2 offers more forgiveness and produces a higher peak trajectory with 250rpm more spin versus 917D3. (Available in 8.5º, 9.5º, 10.5º and 12º lofts.)
The 917D3 provides distance with workability in a traditional, tour-inspired 440cc pear profile. 917D3 offers more workability and 250rpm less spin versus 917D2. (Available in 8.5º, 9.5º, and 10.5º lofts.)