I was so excited hearing about the new XXIO Prime golf clubs. I think the XXIO brand still an unknown golf equipment brand outside of Japan, although XXIO is very optimistic regarding the North American market. XXIO has just launched its new line of XXIO PRIME golf clubs and XXIO FORGED irons.
As I went through the specification of the XXIO PRIME golf clubs and XXIO FORGED irons my enthusiasm started to vanish. First of all, because my definition of premium golf equipment is not equal to gold coloring, but rather usage of the latest technology (or invention of a new technology), many customization options (e.g. driver options like in PING G series) and added value services.
For instance the low and deep center and gravity, you can also find in Titleist 917 driver or in Callaway Golf’s XR 16 Sub Zero driver.
This is what I found about the XXIO PRIME golf clubs…
The new XXIO PRIME driver has four key performance features that help generate longer, more consistent distance performance for the target player:
- The new XXIO PRIME SP-900 graphite shaft. Made by XXIO in Japan, the SP-900 promotes faster head speed. The unique layered structure and materials allow the SP-900 graphite shaft to be extended to 46 inches, and it is also 2 grams lighter than the previous shaft model.
- A powerful draw bias. An advanced material called Stretch-fill in the tip section of the SP-900 shaft adds flexibility to help the user more easily square the head at impact and encourage a draw. the new XXIO PRIME driver head shape provides a draw-biased image at address to promote a straighter, more powerful trajectory.
- Head designed for increased forgiveness. The new XXIO PRIME driver features the Wing Cup Face. Developed for the XXIO9 series, it expands the size of the high-COR area in the heel and toe for a wider sweet spot. Combined with the new Sole Channel Structure, which allows for better face flexibility at impact – especially in the lower face – the new XXIO PRIME driver provides increased forgiveness to promote faster, more consistent ball speed.
- Lower, deeper center of gravity. 2 grams have been saved in the new lightweight crown, enabling an optimal redistribution of surplus weight. In combination with the shallow back shape, that facilitates a lower and deeper CG, and a higher MOI.
- 10.5° / 11.5° in R, SR shaft flexes (RH only).
The new XXIO PRIME driver will be available for $849.99 ea (plus tax),
XXIO PRIME fairway
The XXIO PRIME fairway helps increase ball speed with a full titanium cup face structure, increasing the size of the high-COR area for improved distance forgiveness on off-center impacts. The XXIO PRIME fairway also has a shallow back shape that promotes a lower, deeper CG to encourage a higher, easier launch both off the tee and from the turf.
Price: $579.99 ea (plus tax), #3 / #5 / #7 in R, SR shaft flexes (RH only).
XXIO Prime Utility
Price: $379.99 ea (plus tax), U5 / U6 / U7 in R, SR shaft flexes (RH only).
XXIO PRIME Irons
All irons feature a tungsten-nickel sole weight, and the 5-7 irons also integrate a high-density tungsten-nickel inner sole weight to pull the CG even lower and promote a higher, easier launch. Adding forgiveness is an all-titanium face, which has been slightly enlarged at the sole for longer, more consistent distance performance on low-face impacts.
Price: 4-piece set (7-9, PW) is $1,039.99 (plus tax), individual pieces (5, 6, AW, SW) are $260.00 ea (plus tax); available in R, SR shaft flexes (RH only).
XXIO PRIME Forged Irons
With Nippon N.S. PRO 930GH D.S.T. steel shaft, 6-piece set (5-9, PW) is $1,019.99 (plus tax), individual pieces (4, AW, SW) are $170.00 ea (plus tax); available in R, S shaft flexes.
With XXIO MX-6000 graphite shaft, 6-piece set (5-9, PW) is $1,259.99 (plus tax), individual pieces (4, AW, SW) are $210.00 ea (plus tax); available in R, S shaft flexes (RH only).