Have you heard that TaylorMade is expanding its successful P700-series iron lineup with the addition of the P790 irons? I have to summarize in one sentence the essence of the new TaylorMade P790 irons it would be: a forged players’ distance iron engineered with new SpeedFoam Technology for golfers seeking the forged look and feel of a players iron.
The essence of TaylorMade P790 irons
- a medium-compact head design with a thinner topline and reduced offset preferred by discerning players;
- TaylorMade P790 features a soft, 8620 carbon steel body combined with a high-strength forged 4140 carbon steel WrapFace in a hollow body design.
- SpeedFoam Technology, a new proprietary construction which serves a dual purpose of generating ball speed as well as the management of sound and feel. Injected into the clubhead, SpeedFoam provides the face support and damping properties that make the performance of the P790 unlike any other iron in the TaylorMade family.
- WrapFace creates a cut-thru Speed Pocket on the sole with extreme flexibility in the lower part of the clubface; it’s this flexibility which creates greater forgiveness and consistency than is typically seen in a distance iron design.
- An ultra-thin 1.75mm face thickness with re-engineered Inverted Cone Technology optimised for the slightly smaller face area. Whereas the company’s previous ICT which had a larger, heavier profile, the new, smaller Inverted Cone allows for reduced face thickness at the edges of the face, thus increasing flexibility from heel to toe and low on the clubface, resulting in more ball speed across the entire face.
- P790 irons feature strategically placed internal metal-injection-molded (MIM) tungsten weighting (see picture above) for precise CG placement and higher moment of inertia (MOI).
Pricing & Availability of TaylorMade P790 irons
Available at retail on 16th October 2017 in Europe.
The TaylorMade P790 irons will be offered in:
- 3-PW, AW, SW,
- equipped with True Temper’s Dynamic Gold 105 steel shafts (RRP £1,049 / €1,249 / 1,379CHF / 9,499DKK / 11,899NOK / 12,099SEK for 7 irons) or UST Mamiya’s Recoil 760/780 ES SmacWrap graphite shaft with (RRP £1,299 / €1,549) Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360 grips.
- Numerous other custom shaft options are also available.