Exactly a year ago, I had the chance to share with you what makes TaylorMade M3 drivers unique.
Now, I will show you the innovation in TaylorMade M5 drivers. I hope I will find significant changes!
As I expected the Twist Face technology is kepton evolving.
In 2019, TaylorMade has taken Twist Face to the next level of performance with the introduction of Injected Twist Face technology.
The injection process utilizes two new tuning ports (in orange color on the photo below) on the face of the driver (both TaylorMade M5 & M6 driver models) and a proprietary algorithm to ensure the appropriate amount of resin is used, systematically dialing in the speed for each driver face.
The thinner, faster face design is that it provides the TaylorMade M5 and M6 drivers with faster off-center COR, effectively increasing forgiveness.
The new face design is optimized with up to a 20% reduction in thickness that results in a 66% larger sweetspot in the M5 drivers over the M3 and more than 100% larger than the original M1 in 2015.
TaylorMade first shifted the paradigm of adjustability with the introduction of the original T-Track in the M1 driver.
In subsequent models in 2017 & 2018, the sliding weight system evolved into the Y-Track, which allowed for more than 1,000 unique CG configurations, which more than doubled the number attainable in the 2017 M1.
In the TaylorMade M5 & M5 Tour drivers, a new Inverted T-Track makes personalisation more intuitive and simplified than ever and allows the golfer:
- more precise CG adjustability with 1770 unique CG configurations
; madepossible through the allowance of 20 grams (two 10g weights) of movable weight to be utilisedfor both the benefit of heel to toe control as well as front to back CG adjustment.
Though there are 1770 unique settings, the adjustability process has been made incredibly intuitive with high/low & draw/fade settings.
The front-to-back CG shift allows the golfer to fine-tune their ball flight through launch angle and backspin.
The flat curvature of the front/back track provides the lowest CG possible regardless which weight setting fits the golfer best.
This promotes high launch and low spin in any of the TaylorMade M5 driver’s weight configurations.
It also provides a wide range of MOI options—
The result gives the golfer:
- up to one degree of launch angle and 600 rpm of spin change;
- as well as 25 yards of left-to-right adjustability.
In the TaylorMade M5 & M6 drivers and fairways, TaylorMade ushers in the 4th consecutive generation of its carbon composite technology.
The use of composite crown and sole panels save weight from the traditional construction of drivers and fairways.
This increased discretionary weight is used to create an optimized center of gravity to deliver a hotter trajectory with increased forgiveness.
The 2019 TaylorMade M5 & M6 drivers have also increased the overall composite crown footprint by 10%.
TaylorMade M5 driver – specifications, pricing
- Available for preorder on January 14 and at retail on February 15, 2019.
- The TaylorMade M5 Tour driver will be available on March 1,
2019at the same RRP as the M5 driver and is available in 9° and 10.5° lofts.
- Pricing: RRP of £499 / EU 599 / NOK 5,699 / SEK 5,999 / DKK 4,499 / CHF 679
- The TaylorMade M5 driver will be offered in 9°, 10.5°, and 12° lofts.
- Both the TaylorMade M5 & M5 Tour drivers come equipped with a newly redesigned, streamlined headcover and premium components; either a Mitsubishi CK Tensei Orange 60 and Project X’s new HZRDUS Smoke 70 shaft with numerous additional shaft options available at no additional cost.
- The stock grip is the MCC Decade grip from Golf Pride.