Have you enjoyed your game with the TaylorMade M series drivers? Personally, I am very happy with the forgiveness of the TaylorMade M6 driver.
In the new TaylorMade SIM2 drivers, you will realize soon that TaylorMade increased the focus on enhanced forgiveness while maintaining speed and optimal launch conditions.
TaylorMade – rethinking forgiveness
As part of the rethinking process, TaylorMade came up with a new design element called Forged Ring Construction (see picture below).
Utilizing a lightweight and high strength aluminum that’s precision milled, the adjoining feature unites the critical components of the driver head into a singular force.
As the defining component of TaylorMade SIM2, SIM2 Max, and SIM2 Max•D, the forged aluminum ring is one of four crucial elements of the unique construction.
The other modules are the carbon crown, carbon sole and milled back face cup.
The 6-layer carbon composite material, which was refined throughout the lifespan of the popular M series and SIM, is used on the crown of TaylorMade SIM2, SIM2 Max, and SIM2 Max•D.
A new high-strength carbon was developed precisely for the sole and designed for enhanced durability in protection against damage from turf interaction and contact at high speeds.
The 9-layers of advanced carbon span the entire sole while simultaneously shaping the asymmetric Inertia Generator, which is designed to produce faster clubhead speeds through precise geometry and aerodynamic analysis.
The expanded use of carbon saves a considerable amount of weight that has been redeployed onto the Inertia Generator in the form of a heavy rear weight (16g SIM2, 24g SIM2 Max and 22g SIM2 Max•D).
Placing this substantial weight low and back in the club moves the CG projection to the center face, optimizes launch conditions, and maximizes MOI – more commonly described as forgiveness.
The milled back face cup is the only part of the driver head that is crafted from titanium. The strong and resilient material facilitates energy transfer to encourage faster ball speeds.
TaylorMade discovered any interesting mis-hit pattern that extends from low heel to high toe.
The milling process allows the company to precisely tune the thickness of the face to promote peak speed in those areas. This intelligently engineered sweet spot has an oval shape and stretches diagonally from the high toe toward the low heel.
In addition, a larger face size enhances forgiveness across the line-up of TaylorMade SIM2 drivers:
- SIM2 is 12% larger (vs. SIM),
- SIM2 Max is 5% larger (vs. SIM Max) and
- SIM2 Max•D is 5% larger (compared to SIM Max•D).
The reconstructed SIM2 delivers high MOI properties with a heavy 16g steel weight positioned on the Inertia Generator.
The TPS Front Weight is strategically located behind the face to encourage optimal launch with low spin characteristics, delivering a complete performance that is low on spin and high on forgiveness.
TaylorMade SIM2 Max driver
The SIM2 Max delivers high MOI properties with a heavy 24g tungsten weight positioned on the Inertia Generator.
The TPS Front Weight is strategically located on the sole of the club to encourage the optimal mid-to-high launch with mid-to-low spin properties, delivering complete performance and max forgiveness.
TaylorMade SIM2 Max•D driver
The all-new SIM2 Max•D features a repositioned Inertia Generator that’s closer to the heel, encouraging a heel CG that’s low and back for more forgiveness – designed to deliver a higher launch with the largest, most forgiving face in the SIM2 line-up.
The end result, a draw-biased driver without compromise.
TaylorMade SIM2 drivers – availability & pricing & specification
- TaylorMade SIM2, SIM2 Max, and SIM2 Max•D will be available for pre-order on January 19, 2021, and at retail on February 19, 2021.
Specification & Pricing
- TaylorMade SIM2 has an RRP of 449GBP / 529EURO / 5,299SEK / 5,299NOK / 3,899DKK / 579CHF and will be offered in 8°, 9° and 10.5° lofts.
- Shaft offerings include Mitsubishi Tensei AV Raw Blue 60 and Project X’s HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 70, with numerous custom shaft options available at no additional cost. They come stock with Golf Pride’s Z-Grip (47g).
- TaylorMade SIM2 Max and SIM2 Max•D have an RRP of 449GBP / 529EURO / 5,299SEK / 5,299NOK / 3,899DKK / 579CHF and will be offered in 9°, 10.5° and 12° lofts.
- SIM2 Max shaft offerings include Fujikura Ventus Blue 5 and Mitsubishi KuroKage Silver, with numerous custom shaft options available at no additional cost.
- SIM2 Max•D shaft offerings include Fujikura Air Speeder 45, with numerous custom shaft options available at no additional cost. Both models come stock with Golf Pride’s Z-Grip.
- SIM2 Max and SIM2 Max•D Women’s have an RRP of 449GBP / 529EURO / 5,299SEK / 5,299NOK / 3,899DKK / 579CHF and will be offered in 10.5° and 12° lofts.
- SIM2 Max and SIM2 Max•D Women’s include the Aldila NV Ladies 45 shaft, with numerous custom-shaft options also available at no additional cost. Both models come with the Lamkin Ladies Sonar grip.