The new Vokey SM9 wedges are Vokey’s most versatile, accurate, and forgiving yet, offering 6 grind options and a total of 23 different models ranging in lofts from 46* to 62* for precision fitting.
The wedges are available in three finishes – Tour Chrome, Brushed Steel, and Jet Black – with Raw as a custom option.
Vokey has determined that the optimum strike position on a Vokey Design wedge is between grooves 2 and 5. This produces a lower, more consistent flight with a higher spin. Shots struck above this area tend to launch higher and fly shorter with less spin.
Improving upon the groundbreaking Progressive Center of Gravity (CG) design concept originally introduced with the Vokey Design SM8, the new Vokey SM9 wedge is coming with:
- The new SM9 maintains the innovative forward CG – a position that actually hovers in front of the wedge face – to produce a solid feeling wedge that squares up at impact for more consistent results.
- The CG has been raised vertically by adding weight to the topline design, where a tapered pad at the back of the toe helps align the CG properly without being visible from the playing position.
- Progressive hosel lengths are also used to help raise the CG in the higher lofts, particularly 58°-62°.
The Vokey SM9 wedge continues to feature the most complete lineup of grind, bounce, and loft options, allowing for more creativity and consistency and giving players of any level the ability to create multiple shots into and around the green.
Vokey’s 6 Tour-proven sole grinds – F, S, M, K, L, and D – allow golfers of all skill levels to be precisely fit for their swing type (steep, neutral, shallow), shot making style (sweeper, digger), and course conditions (firm, neutral, soft).
Vokey SM9 wedge – a new Spin Milled cutting process
A new Spin Milled cutting process in the SM9 models – which includes tightening our allowable tolerances – produces consistently sharper grooves wedge after wedge, resulting in a higher, more consistent spin.
- Spin Milled Grooves are the Gold Standard in groove cutting precision – meticulously engineered and cut to the edge to maximize spin and shot control. Each groove on every head is 100% inspected for conformity to the rules of golf.
- Micro-grooves are individually cut in between grooves, which maximizes spin on partial shots. A proprietary heat treatment is applied to the impact area to double the durability of the groove without impacting feel – making it the most durable groove in golf.
- Each groove is individually cut based on loft and finish with the Lower lofts (46°-54°) designed with narrower, deeper grooves and Higher lofts (56°-62°) with wider, shallower grooves.
Vokey SM9 wedge – personalization, availability & specifications
The WedgeWorks custom options include:
- Six unique toe engravings
- Stamping options | 10-character Straight/Freestyle stamping; 15 characters around the toe; and two lines of 10 characters each
- Custom paint-filled | Loft, Bounce and Grind markings and BV Wings logo
- SM9 wedges can also be custom ordered with an industry-leading selection of shafts, grips, shaft bands and ferrules.
Shaft: True Temper Dynamic Gold S200 | Grip: Tour Velvet 360 White
Vokey Design SM9 wedges are available for pre-order through golf shops worldwide and Vokey.com beginning Feb. 17 | They arrive in golf shops on March 11, 2022 | MAP $179