I was curious to figure out what can Portugal offer to active senior golf travelers. This is how this article was born.
As I am analyzing the UN World Population Prospect 2018 study, I can see a growing number and share of senior/elder people.
Insights about the active senior travelers
To understand the situation here is an interesting finding of this study: 12 % of the world population will be over 65 by 2030.
Horwath HTL predicts that in Europe by 2050, the share of the 60+ age group will be 34%. This is equal to 223 million people.
The senior population will not only live longer, but they will also be healthier and more active than previous generations, especially in advanced societies like Switzerland, Japan, etc.
Amadeus says active seniors consider travel as a means to achieve or fulfill their life goals. Their desire to explore coupled with the development of their physical and financial status had fueled the demand for travel.
In many of the developed countries, they are the ones who have the time and money to travel.
These people want to leave their loved ones with more than just money and property. They want their legacy to be meaningful in values and experiences.
One more interesting insight before I show you the best golf resort for ‘active senior’ golf tourists.
AARP Travel Research: 2019 Travel Trends, November 2018 found that American Baby Boomers are projected to spend about $2,000 more than both Gen Xers and Millennials on travel.
Attractive golf resorts for active senior golf travelers in Portugal
These are the TOP5 expectations and needs of active senior golf travelers:
- Personalized services,
- Health & Wellness services and products,
- Soft adventures for ‘feeling young’,
- Multi-Generational travel,
- Slow travel is gaining momentum (e.g. cruise).
As you will see in my list of TOP11 Portuguese resorts for active senior golf travelers have 4 things in common.
All of them are focusing on needs #2, #3, #4 plus they don’t mention explicitly on their website that they have got special programs for active senior golf travelers.
Only at Vale do Lobo Golf & Beach Resort was highlighted bespoke holiday service. The Ombria Resort (to be open in 2021) was the place where I found a referral to sustainability (e.g. locally sourced salts and oil).
I also like that Praia D’el Rey and Monte Rei Golf & Country Club are offering local experiences as well.
TOP11 Portuguese golf resorts for active senior golf travelers
- Vidago Palace: offers wellness and medical programs to rejuvenate, spa, Clarins Institute products (just like at Palazzo Arzaga Hotel, Spa & Golf Resort, Italy). They are a member of the Aromatherapy Associates since 2010. The Vidago Palace is offering 20 treatment rooms, 5 hydrotherapy rooms.
- Vale do Lobo: Comprehensive Premium Health Check is available at the resort. In addition to this service, you can also find Karin Herzog oxygen skincare, body and facial treatments, hydrotherapies + bespoke holiday offers.
- Pine Cliffs Golf Resort: you will appreciate a lot here is the Serenity SPA. The Spa in the Algarve awarded as “Europe’s Best Wellness Spa”.10 different treatments, a wellbeing program, and a ‘thermal oasis’ are available. Pine Cliffs also offer various premium brand products, e.g. Ila, Sensai, Charme, D’Orient, and Thalgo.
- Palacio Estoril Golf & Spa Hotel: the hotel offers wellness treatments, Banyan Tree SPA facilities, and Sothys Beauty Program.
- Praia Del Rey: I can strongly recommend their Health Club: carbo fitness, hydro massages, and Turkish bath, etc. + get local experience (off-site activities).
- Penha Longa Resort: a 1,500-square-meter Spa, + wide range of the most sophisticated therapies and treatments by the prestigious luxury brand Natura Bissé. A historical circuit that takes guests past a 14th-century monastery; and easy access to beaches in nearby Cascais and Estoril, just 10 minutes away.
- NAU Hotels & Resorts: they are offering SUN SOUL, the new biomimetic ANTI-AGEING SUN by [comfort zone] products as well. [comfort zone] was conceived in Parma, Italy, in 1996 as the skincare division of Davines Group, a family-owned company still in the caring hands of the Bollati Family.
- Quinta do Lago: At The Campus, you can find a High-Performance Gym, an Aquatic Centre, a Rehabilitation, Recovery & Wellness Centre and a Tennis, Padel and The Bike Shed Centre.
- Hotel Quinta Da Marinha Resort: The RitualSPA offers a wide variety of treatments, including a spa, unique aesthetic treatments, body wraps, aromatic exfoliations, facial treatments, and basic care. They have got 4 treatment rooms, 1 double suite, 1 single room, 1 manicure and pedicure room, Turkish bath, sauna, and sensation showers.
- Monte Rei Golf & Country Club: I think here you will be more impressed by the golf offer and the off-site activities like cork production tour, cycling tours, Tavira Town tour, Seville Excursion, horse riding, fishing excursion, etc.
- Ombria Resort: when they will be open (hopefully in 2021) they will offer at the Viceroy Ombria a space dedicated to wellness for a healthy body, sound mind, and serene spirit, with sumptuous indoor and outdoor pools, jacuzzi, sauna, and Turkish baths. What is even more interesting that they will offer locally sourced salts and oil as part of their sustainability efforts.
Add your recommendations in the comment box!
This article is brought to you by Tee Times Golf Agency.