PING launched the PING G430 family in North America, Europe, and South America yesterday. In the lure of speed and forgiveness, I was curious about the changes since the launch of PING G410 Plus & G410 SFT drivers in 2019.
What do you guess? What would you improve on them?
PING G430 driver’s new features
I managed to discover these changes/novelties in the new PING G430 driver:
- New to the SFT (Straight Flight Technology) head (460cc) is a two-setting, moveable tungsten backweight (22g) that positions the CG to deliver 13 yards of right-to-left shot bend in the Draw setting and another 7 yards in the Draw+ (20 yards total). Available in 10.5° loft (adjustable ±1.5° and lie up to 3° flat from standard).
- Exclusive to the LST (Low Spin Technology) driver is Carbonfly Wrap, a lightweight composite that covers the crown and wraps into the heel/toe sections of the skirt to save weight and lower the CG for more ball speed, less spin, and higher MOI. The 8-layer, one-piece composite saves 4 grams and weighs 11.5g fully installed. A moveable 22-gram, high-density tungsten backweight influences shot shape ±7 yards between the Draw, Neutral, and Fade settings. At 440cc, the smaller tour-style LST is available in 9° and 10.5° lofts (adjustable ±1.5° and lie up to 3° flat from standard) and best fits faster swing speeds.
- The PING G430 MAX driver (460cc) remains the most forgiving and fits the widest range of golfers. A 25-gram, high-density tungsten moveable backweight influences shot shape ±8 yards between the Draw, Neutral and Fade settings. Available in 9°, 10.5° and 12° lofts. Loft is adjustable ±1.5° and lie up to 3° flat from standard using the 8-setting Trajectory Tuning 2.0 hosel.
- Shallower and thinner VFT forged face design engineered with Spinsistency.
John K. Solheim, PING CEO & President said tour players were able to gain 2 to 4 mph in golf ball speed from the driver.
The new custom-fit, custom-built PING G430 family consists of 3 driver models (MAX, LST, SFT), two fairway-wood designs (MAX, SFT) in multiple lofts, six hybrid choices and an iron set (4-9, PW, 45.5°, 50°, 54°, 58°).
For slower-swing-speed golfers, all of the clubs except the LST driver can be custom-built with lighter head weights, the ultralight PING ALTA Quick shaft, and a lighter grip as part of the G430 HL (High Launch) option.
PING G430 driver – Specifications
- Head weights: 208 (LST), 206g (MAX), 200g (SFT)
- Swingweights: D3 (MAX), D4 (LST), C9 (SFT)
- Std. length: 45 3/4″ (ALTA CB Black 55); 45 1/4″ (PING Tour 2.0 Chrome/Black and optional stock)
- Stock shafts: PING ALTA CB (counter-balanced) Black 55 (SR, R, S), PING ALTA Quick 35/45 (HL build only)
- Optional stock shafts: PING Tour 2.0 Chrome 65 (R, S, X), PING Tour 2.0 Black 65 (S, X), Mitsubishi Kai’Li White 60 (S, X), PRJX HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 50 (5.5, 6.0), PRJX HZRDUS Smoke Red RDX 60 (5.5, 6.0, 6.5)
- Stock grip: Golf Pride 360 Tour Velvet in six sizes (Blue -1/16”, Red -1/32”, Aqua -1/64”, White-Std, Gold +1/32”, Orange +1/16”)
- RRP: G430 MAX/SFT = €625 each; G430 LST = €685 each