My golf holiday last year in Madeira was probably one of my best ones. The primary goal last year was to try out what it’s like to play golf at Palheiro Golf, a Cabell Robinson-designed 18-hole course.
I am really grateful to Rodrigo Ulrich (Executive Director at Palheiro Golf) and his team for the superb hospitality.
If you like the golf course design works of Cabell Robinson then you will like Palheiro Golf too. His other work in Portugal is Praia del Rey Golf Club.
The Palheiro Golf (par-72, 6,656-yard (6,086m)) is part of the Palheiro Nature Estate. It includes also
- the Relais & Châteaux five-star hotel, Casa Velha Do Palheiro;
- the Palheiro Village luxury villas and apartments;
- the award-winning Palheiro Gardens;
- and the Palheiro Spa.
Recently the Palheiro Nature Estate received a “Clean and Safe” stamp from the Turismo de Portugal.
Turismo de Portugal created a “Clean and Safe” stamp of approval to distinguish tourist activities that are compliant with hygiene and cleaning requirements for the prevention and control of COVID-19 and other possible infections.
If I were you I would check the existence of this logo on the website of that Portuguese golf resort, hotel, and club where you would like to spend your holiday.
As we can see like at many serious golf clubs and resort Palheiro Nature Estate takes health safety seriously too.
In these days they are reopening with a special offer:
- Palheiro Village is offering a 10% discount on the unit rate and on packages, as well as 15% discount when booking a second unit and 20% off when booking a third.
- The offers are valid on all bookings made until October 31.
Madeira is not like the Algarve. You will find so much different experience that you can combine with golf. I will go back to Madeira as soon as there will be a flight between Budapest and Lisbon.
If you are a UK citizen please read this
- Portugal and Madeira have been omitted from a list of countries participating in an “air bridge” with the UK.
- Madeira remains on the list of required 14-day quarantine upon return to the UK. Britons traveling back from the island will be required to self-isolate for 14 days on return to the UK.
- All travelers from the UK must take a COVID-19 test prior to or on arrival.
- Please see the latest UK government advice here: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/portugal