“Breast cancer is the most commonly occurring cancer in women and the second most common cancer overall. There were over 2 million new cases in 2018.
Belgium had the highest rate of breast cancer in women, followed by Luxembourg, the Netherlands, France…8th – UK, 22nd USA.
The Breastcancer.org found
- About 1 in 8 U.S. women (about 12%) will develop invasive breast cancer over the course of her lifetime.
- In 2020, an estimated 276,480 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in women in the U.S., along with 48,530 new cases of non-invasive (in situ) breast cancer.
- About 2,620 new cases of invasive breast cancer are expected to be diagnosed in men in 2020. A man’s lifetime risk of breast cancer is about 1 in 883.
- About 42,170 women in the U.S. are expected to die in 2020 from breast cancer. Death rates have been steady in women under 50 since 2007, but have continued to drop in women over 50.
Throughout the month, Troon-managed golf properties will be flying pink checkered flags on their 18th greens to help raise awareness about breast cancer prevention and screening exams and will have various fundraising events to support PLAY for P.I.N.K.®, a national charity funding breast cancer research.
In addition, and to celebrate Troon Women’s Golf Month, teaching professionals at Troon-managed facilities will host introductory golf clinics, virtual events, and creative playing opportunities throughout October.
Now in its 7th year, the goal of Troon Women’s Golf Month is to introduce more golfers to the game, regardless of age, race, or gender.
Here are some examples:
- Kapalua Golf in Maui, Hawaii will combine both initiatives, hosting a Play for P.I.N.K. golf outing on October 18th on its Bay Course and a complimentary women’s golf clinic prior to the outing.
- The Lodge of Four Seasons in Lake of the Ozarks, Missouri will have Play for P.I.N.K. and Stay for P.I.N.K. promotions throughout October. Tee it up in October on the Cove or Ridge Courses and $5 of every round will be donated to Play for P.I.N.K. Plus, book a room night in October and $5 of every room night will be donated to Play for P.I.N.K.
- The Els Club Malaysia is offering 50% off golf instruction for the month in addition to donating a portion of golf fees to breast cancer research.
- The Els Club Dubai in the United Arab Emirates will hold a Breast Cancer Awareness Golf Day on October 27th.
- The Westin Kierland Golf Club in Scottsdale, Ariz. will provide a 15% discount on regularly priced apparel with the color PINK in it, plus will have regular “Hit the Green for Charity” contests on their par 3s throughout the month of October. Proceeds will be donated to Play for P.I.N.K.
- Ak-Chin Southern Dunes Golf Club in Maricopa, Ariz. is offering 20% off women’s apparel throughout the month of October.
You don’t have to be a Troon affiliated/managed to support the breast cancer awareness month in your golf club.